Friday, June 1, 2007

Dental, Kindness, and Team Spirit

And yes how I seriously wish MEP Camp could go on...and on without the workshops.

Special thanks to these people:

From the MGS camp - Marisa, Hilary, Cheryl
From the ACS camp - Timothy, Chuanxi, Kapilan, and Jackson
From the RI camp - Zhiyi, Zhiyi, Zhiyi

Probably among the best days I had!

Today I went for a dental check-up. My gag reflex kicked in during the 3 X-rays I had. The male nurse placed this blue plastic spiky straw in my mouth to keep it open, then asked me to bite very hard, and "don't open! Close your eyes!" He ran behind this shield wall and the machine went "BEEP!"

So the whole process repeated three times, and by the third time my eyes were filled with tears from the gagging. But I knew how to control the reflex already though.



After the whole talk with my doctor Dr. Andrew and the nurse I went outside for the confirmation of my next appointment. Then I had a long debate with my mother in full view of the receptionist and the other patients.

"Can't have it on Wednesday! I have my rehearsals!"
"Where got rehearsal on Wednesday one huh? I need proof of your rehearsal!"
"But no, not Monday Wednesday Friday. Nurse, can you give me on 2 and 4s only"
"No Nurse, anytime also can"
"No Nurse, 2s and 4s. Yes, Tuesdays and Thursday. No Mondays Wednesdays Fridays"
"..."
"No Mondays Wednesdays Fridays"

Meanwhile the Nurse turns head to and fro from me to my mum.

We finally settled on September the 6, which was quite amusing for the Nurse because it's so far away.

Happens to be my mom and dad's wedding anniversary!


Then we proceeded to OG, when upon noticing the guy's badge at the entrance upside-down, I felt disturbed.

We continued walking around People's Park for satin, but it was SOOooo boring, and almost everyone I saw were old people. Excluding my mum.

I went back to the entrance guy and I told him that his badge was not correctly placed. He had this to say.

"I know, I just don't want people to see my name or else they will complain about me."

"Huh?" (Music of Beegees's Nights on Broadway plays)

"Later people see my name then complain about me."

...SO this guy has complaints against him? Weird.

He continued in a not-so-jokingly tone. "No lah, just kidding. Thanks anyway"

"Hey ok no problem."




FOllowing that I got a scolding from my mum about being so kay-poh. What? Was I doing any wrong? Besides right beneath his name tag was a "Be Kind Singapore" orange circular badge. Around those lines lah. But anyway, how ironic.


Now I know why ACS(I) beat RI in rugby, or in any other sports. That's because in ACS(I), they're camaradarie is very strong. In case people don't know what camaradarie means, it means team spirit. Probably like espirit' de corp.

To all Rafflesians: We're too focused on acheiving our own goals till we do not bother about the feelings of others anymore. We must strengthen our friendships, our team spirit, our school spirit. There is no more Rafflesian Spirit, only the Thinker, Leader, and the Pioneer.

This is the only thing we must improve before we can go on to triumph over other schools. The technique is there, the spirit is not!

Rafflesians, let's rise to the call!

No comments: