Thursday, August 28, 2008

2 days to Spain

Just done showering - I came back at around 10.45 today after a 8-10pm piano lesson with Zhang Aidi. Played the whole Spain program. Can't really say I'm feeling tired, because after a hot bath one always feels refreshed. It feels damn good sitting here though on the 22nd storey.

Cock my head to one side, and I see all the way till the tall hills of Malaysia, which are about a few hundred kilometres away from here, but still taller than all the HDB blocks in front of it. I wonder what's going on in those hills now - sometimes this sense of mystery gets the better of me, you know? It's like, sitting in front of your desk at 1am and then wondering, what's out there in the dark? What is it like out there? I got an experience of that in Germany, passing all those huge hills and mountains at 10pm.

And then you start wondering, why are they so dark, so black? I mean, what's in them? Of course, nocturnal animals la. But isn't it always so fun to think about what creatures seem to lurk in those forested areas, covered by Mother Nature herself.

Another 2 more days before I leave for Spain...Feeling pretty hungry now. Should I eat?

Recently I went to the library and saw the book about Journal Writing. Not much inside can be used for online journal writing, so I didn't take much notice of it. Until...nope. No until. Never saw it again.

Which reminds me that I should be in bed reading the book that I borrowed. Jonathan Shin does follow book series, and there's one I follow really tightly. That's the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I love his style of writing! Anyway talking about styles I'm trying to combine both the styles of Chopin's simply pianistic writing and Rachmaninov's strong harmonies into my as-of-now still shitty composing.

But I like the method I'm using. Although it's super slow I think it's super effective. I mean, why not, learning it by yourself simply by looking at other composers' works, dissecting them, looking at them from the macro then micro scale, and then back again.

Comparing them, then using all these things. You're ready to roll.

I'm real glad though that we have finally signed up for Rafflesian Spotlight. Never knew our class people had this talent. You see, we're able to sing any given lyrics. ANY given body of text. Then give us 30 seconds, and then it's ready. It's an entirely presentable song.

It's really a talent. To be able to listen, while at the same time create new melodies with these harmonies. And one doesn't even KNOW the harmonies. Please do join me applauding Nigel, Joseph. It's fun to know that lots of other people want to do what we're doing, because it's special.

Had a rollicking time with Kakiong and Liyoung in the jamming room also, me on bass giving the Dm, F, G, F, and just putting them on near-max volume insane mode, Kakiong on the whining leads and roaring rhythms, and Liyoung with split-second perfect drum playing. Just loved the part where he threw his stick into the air, and sent it crashing down directly on the beat.

We were probably all drooling on the floor and screaming, but I knew after that I was totally spent in dad's car. Just drooping my head with all the fatigue of playing. It's a totally different story 12 hours later though.

Quiet.

Reflective.

Introspective.

Just the sound of music in my head, waiting to be placed on paper. As I have told lots of people, every musician can have the most wonderful melodies in their head. But only the composer can put it on paper.

Guten Nacht.

No comments: