Sunday, April 27, 2008

Peace

One day a woman came to see the Buddha (the great spiritual teacher who lived several thousand years ago in India) with her dead child in her arms. Grief-stricken, she had wandered from place to place, asking people for medicine to restore him to life. As a last resort, she asked the Buddha if he could help her. "Yes, he said, "But you must first bring me some mustard seed from a house in which there has never been a death."

Filled with hope, the woman went from door to door inquiring, but no one could help her. Every house she entered had witnessed its share of deaths. By the time she reached the end of the village, she had awakened to the realization that sickness and death are inevitable. After burying her son, she returned to the Buddha for spiritual instruction. "Only one law in the universe never changes," he explained, "that all things change and all things are impermanent." Hearing this, the woman became a disciple and eventually, it is said, attained enlightenment.

All things change and all things are impermanent. I should start embracing both Christianity and Buddhism at once.

I'm at peace. And that is important, for only in mental peace can one achieve his fullest potential. I shall clear away all distractions, and work on my priorities. I shall stop using excuses not to do work, and I shall list all my current priorities.

1. Study for Chemistry CCT, even though it's too late, I shall do my best.
2. Practise Mathematics Differentiation, which I've been doing for the past few days, and I'm confident for tomorrow's quiz.
3. Practise for juries on Saturday. I shall work on my 2nd and 3rd movement of Mozart.
4. Type out my English summary for my speech

I'm still the normal Jonathan Shin, but with clearer priorities. This shall serve as a reminder for me to lead a balanced life. I shall go to church every Sunday, and I will harness the power of meditation to guide me through my toughest times. I would still talk to friends, for I'm not selfish, and I do not strive to better others, only myself.

I shall not let them down - I shall not let him down - I shall not let her down - I shall not let myself down.

No comments: