Saturday, May 24, 2008

Founder's Day simply never fails

Founder's Day never fails to make people like me go depressed. You see, the main part of Founder's Day lies only in the prize-giving ceremony, and even dignitaries like Mr. K Shanmugan (Singapore's Law Minister) who came over to grace the ceremony was hardly given any notice.

Well I admit I was giving him some notice, since he was the only other person who didn't had this effect of putting me to shame with my lack of awards. As with the other people around me.

Then there were those who went for multiple appearance, people like Barry Tng, Nigel Fong, Paul Tern. Even Theophilus Kwek was on the list! Which isn't much of a surprise.

So Mr. Shanmugan started off with some jokes to lighten the mood, which was already filled with much festivity considering how we sang the Founder's Day song with much aplomb and with heartiness. And then there was the competition at the end between the JC1 Rafflesians and the Sec 4 Rafflesians, where they sang their batch song, and we started with ours.

Not criminal or anything, and all done in the name of good fun - we work hard and play hard. And today was officially the last day of school leading to the June holidays! Here's how Jonathan Shin will spend his holidays:

1) Practise piano with laser-beam accuracy (as what Dr Hecht said when he used to practise)
2) Complete all overdue assignments
3) Go to social gatherings and class parties
4) Complete all due assignments


So here I am, completing my English portfolio. I've yet to complete (read: complete, not start) my English argumentative essay, of which I have managed to maintain the same level of ENTHUSIASM since I first heard of this project.

Which is good.

5) Complete my RE and do the recording for it by end of June

Watching movies of the 80s are amusing. The fight scenes are littered with yells and screams, unneccesary moves and unneccesary speech. And then we have the stereotypes of the 80s, where the terrorists were the Arabs and they talked in an Arab accent. The actors didn't do a good job portraying the terrorists though - some of the raw emotions just don't come out. Well if you're going for pure raw then I suggest Lust, Caution might be the correct movie.

Unfortunately the director wasn't Ang Lee, and this movie was a B-flick, so the choreographing was pretty bad and the photography too. And after all this rambling, you would definitely be wondering what this movie's about.

It's Air Marshal.

There are so many criticisms of this movie that I have to get a new printer to print out the waiting numbers. Let's take for example the CGI graphics of the plane itself. Well since the plane's being hijacked, we need to show exteriors of the plane. And it totally sucked, because it was so obviously CGI and in fact blatantly trying to tell us that directors put this computer model in while they were on Tiger Beer. And they didn't bother to check whether it would turn out ok.

And then the terrorists in the plane seem to pop out from nowhere. I could easily count more than half a dozen terrorists. Now tell me which organization would bother to put so many terrorists in one plane...Don't they know that one should not put all their eggs in one basket?

Wouldn't bother to rate it unless someone treats me to an ice-cream. And a bottle of abalone.

Then again we'll have to be realistic and note that this movie was made with a budget - not everyone is as rich as I am. With movies made with THAT kind of money, it's got to be a movie you catch while you realise you've all the time in the world. Which I don't have! But I watched it anyway.

Is this why people like Nigel Fong and Barry Tng have their own places on the stage? Their discipline? I don't think so. I just like to think they naturally have a gift for mathematics or science, and they work towards honing that skill. If only. If only Raffles Institution had an award for just practical. Then again music is a humanities subject - it consists of geography, literature, history and art.

Simply excelling in one department isn't good enough to book a place on stage with Mr. Shanmugan!

Simply excelling in one department of music isn't healthy!

Simply excelling in one department of music...makes me depressed.

Not really though. It works to be an optimist!

No comments: