Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A reflection of my Class at half-time

Often my day starts with five people, Josep...look, I'm not in heaven yet alright? (If you're thinking of the Mitch Albom book). Ok back to the point I had digressed from right at the start.

My day starts with five people I meet in the CLASSROOM, and they are Joseph, Geoffrey, Enghan, Shanghai, and Leon. Occasionally Leon can be ommited, but I'm usually the one who comes later than him. After that BenLow would come into the classroom.

But it doesn't increase much. After assembly, the class would often have about 20 people, compared to the original 28. Look, some people have already quit this class before it even started - in 2007, we were supposed to have 28, but apparently this guy went to the Sports School. Just goes to show how many talented people this class has. But anyway LiYoung joined in last year, so we were back to 28.

I decided to think over it - about our falling grades and low attendance. Could the immense talent potential in this class be the reason? Let's see, we have musicians, artists, poets, thinkers, actors, scripwriters, stage managers in this class.

How can they expect us to excel in the Sciences? Of course they can, there are people who can handle about the Arts and Sciences, realistically speaking. Now these guys are the actual all-rounded Rafflesians. Let's take a look at Index No. 1. Squash player, class goalkeeper, scriptwriter, and 3.6GPAyer. All-rounded Rafflesian.

I'm definitely not an all-rounded Rafflesian, after all this talk. Maybe I am. I'm a chamber musician and pianist, class utility man who doesn't make it to the bench mostly because of music duties, and a above 2 below 3 above 2.5 GPAyer. Looks good enough. I'll mark myself with a B. (index number one being an Aplus.)

Then there's the character part but that one makes life so difficult so I'll skip it, because human life's about making things a little easier for ourselves, one step at a time.

Back to the class population. Of course there comes a time when one gets sick, and when there are unforeseen circumstances, like getting knocked down by a truck, or running in front of a locomotive. So that can be forgiven.

Then there are those who are disgruntled with the school education system, and decide to go MIA for three weeks, which is enough to turn Shide into Byap and Byap into Shide.

Of course there are people who are selectively healthy, an idea which I had taken from Nigel. Being sick for school and suddenly healthy for CCAs or Extra Programmes after school. Which I've nothing against, although I'm not planning to embark on being selectively healthy for the next term, and the term after the next, and subsequently till NS.

And when you have early people like Joseph, Enghan, Shanghai, Geoffrey, Leon and I, or Leon and Benlow, and I, you always have the late people like...! Never mind. My keyboard has reached the end of its warranty period so I'm not going to risk it.

That said we've got people being late for assembly, and we really look like an extraneous group of people that belong to both 4K and 4M. At the lowest, we number around fifteen, just standing in scattered columns, waiting for the late comers to fill in the gaps. But they never do, so we just clump up all in front. Which makes the row look very small.

But I love the class camaraderie. And it is this that matters most to me!

I mean, those around me, love these guys. (as in not romantic love [duh], just really nice people) I probably exude lots of charisma.

Hope my ego doesn't suffocate you. :)

No comments: