Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The mind, body and soul

Damn! Studying for Math TA now, and confidence level is 60/100. How many times did Sally(not her real name) mention to use the substitution method in logarithms? How many people have already fallen asleep only in her lessons? How many people, when questioned, understands what she is talking?

And I don't think it applies only to our class.

Ask any other class that Sally teaches. So I don't think it's just our class.

Proposed solution: The school has this system for teachers to check and improve themselves. Probably salary will be affected, but all I'm asking for is a better student rapport and also more movitating teachers please!

I'm not attacking or anything but just a plea for school admin to update teachers on recent student feedbacks.

And then I don't know why but my mum is in her moodswings, not me. She's one minute nice the next moment freaking nasty. Freaking nasty = pull hair, pinch, slap. Not the scoldings. Oh, and of course the scoldings are included. I should think normal conversation being 60 decibels, her shouting should go to about 90. It's louder than you imagine it can be, but that is it.


Anyway the last. Aiyah crap I just hate to hear my mum's voice. I should record and put it online for people to sell to eBay titled "Voice to make you cry"


Anyway the last Lisztomania concert i went to was totally crazy. Second best concert I've ever been in my life - 6 encores and a standing ovation. 6 freaking encores - La Campenalla, Minuet by Chopin, Polanaise by Chopin and still got some more. Imagine 2 hours of playing strong melodies, completely made of octaves, trills, runs, scales, emotions, imagery, strength, both mental and physically. Being pianists, we have to use all - the mind, the body, and the soul.

It all applies - we all start with the body - honing and training the technicalities and skills of our fingers, the usage of our shoulders, the hand to leg coordination, training our ears to listen for every note, its tone, texture, quality and depth.

And then comes the mind - we strengthen it, memorising scores, tons and tons of them, concentrating on the music, coordinating the hands and feet,

Then comes the soul - we develop it from the beginning - we've never experienced the true feeling of losing someone close, neither have we understood the power of anger, of true love, and of the depths of despair.

As pianists we train ourselves for it, the mind, the body and the soul.


So being a pianist isn't that easy after all...

No comments: