Sunday, July 1, 2007

Liszt and Mozart

Lisztomania - the Singapore Piano Festival - which has stirred the musical scene in Singapore alive once again.

I've been to all the performances in this year's Piano Festival - as the name suggests the programmes mostly consists of Lizst. Briliant, especially when I'm playing Lizst's Sonetto 104 del Petrarcha currently.

I enjoyed Mr. Katsaris's and Mr. Albert Lin's performances the most - Mr. Katsaris's perfection on the 'transcendental technique' is almost otherworldly. I remember fondly another performer of Liszt's works from the last Piano Festival - that of Mr. Valerie Kuleshov. He got a standing ovation by the way. A very very rare occurence from the audiences of Singapore.

And anyway of course we musn't forget the man behind the scenes - Dr. Chang Tou Liang, and his team for giving us such a dynamic yet smooth Festival!

Today will be last performance of the event - I can't wait to see this rendition of Balakirev's Islamey - yumyum!

And I'm proud to say the RE group has been doing very well and efficient. Our last 2 meetings have given birth to 2 new songs - unfortunately/fortunately without Zhiyi.

Just love the songs by the way, and will love composing the next few songs.

Met a few people yesterday - Miss Koh, my theory teacher whom I've not seen for quite a few months. She's getting married in August! Then I saw Selina at the VCH door but was damn nervous then run off already -.- and then some random guy said he knew me, shaked hands with him, he said he was 16 and he watched me play...and I think Azariah's mum whom I talked to for quite a while, and a woman in her 50s with all her friends watching Mr. Albert's concert giving me some advice - try playing more Mozart.

Which I realised I haven't in 4 years or more, and she told me that there's this special touch to find in Mozart. I probably haven't found it yet, but I will. Probably by next year I can rediscover the magic of Mozart!

No comments: