Friday, February 8, 2008

Chinese New Year (no photos included)

The usual Chinese New Year thing at Malaysia...unavoidable. But it was fun!

I spend 2 days and 1 night at Malaysia, and basically spent the first day doing nothing. We arrived in Malaysia at 6, particularly because I had a piano lesson at 3pm till 4pm (and then after that I left not being able to hear Aidi's lesson) because I had to rush to Malaysia for gathering. You know, one has to try to avoid the jam.

Unfortunately we did not manage to avoid the jam, and we spent nearly 45 minutes from Woodlands Checkpoint all the way to Malaysia Checkpoint (generic), and I saw a
couple of ang-mohs walking along the Causeway, some backpackers I guess.

As usual, no pictures available, simply because I do not know how to take pictures with my phone and transfer them to my computer. I'm very SDRAWKCAB!

Now that's one more reason why you can call me dumb and lame.

Anyway I got bitten by the usual mosquitoes at night, and when I came back to Singapore, I realised I suffered 26 mosquito bites, to my legs and to my arms. This goes to show that I'm tasty.

I'm proud to say then that the next day I spent 2 hours without a keyboard working on the first 30 bars of my planned sonata in F major! I can still remember what Tianyi said about composition - that usually we start by imitating other composers before we developed our own styles. I once sent her an mp3 of my 'MEP composition 1' and she thought it was a Bach prelude or fugue. Unfortunately it wasn't, and I wasn't very surprised nor annoyed when I heard that, but I understood a very important principle.

Searching for an own style is a process that I guess all composers would have to go through the moment they move to more original works. So I'm going through the process now. Should it be more modern (note: not contemporary)? Or should it lean to the more 'classical' styles? Or should it even be the much more original fusion? We'll see in a few years.

Back to the Chinese New Year celebrations, there was the usual offering of hongbaos from the elders to the younger children. It's no longer the queuing up, but now they approach us! What a move from old Chinese tradition...Ate the black sunflower seeds (lots of them) and of course some roasted Chestnuts. Probably one of my favourite food.

A scare happened somewhere at 8pm when everyone was watching TV and the aunties were chatting. And so it happened that my cousin's son Bryan was climbing on top of the sofa. Just a few minutes ago though, he was playing with me and everyone was commenting how he liked me so much (yay plus points). Now he was STANDING on top of the sofa, and no one noticed him, including me. I was sitting on the sofa too with my grandmother, and Bryan was standing in between.

And then it obviously happened - the inbalance hit him and there was a terrible sound of bone against tile. Obviously bone was harder and the tile shattered. Just kidding.

It was a face-plant and he landed on the floor with a loud thud. We flipped him over after 3 seconds, and he started crying like there was no chicken in the backyard. And there really wasn't, so he kept crying. They did the usual superstitious things, for example taking the metal knife and pressing the flat part (duh)on the bruise on his forehead. Another aunty took a hard-boiled egg and pressed it against his bruise. Anyway after all the sweat and crying he was ok (luckily) and we all were relieved.

Several superstitious things again, and I learnt some new stuff. Like the babies shouldn't kiss - in case one couldn't talk in the future and it 'passed' on like a disease. Trust me, it sounds reasonable considering we think like super superstious people.

Card games were the usual, we participated in blackjack (with money), but unfortunately no mahjong at all. I guess it was still alright.

I returned to Singapore at about 3am, bringing my grandma and aunt into our house! Welcome better organizational skills, goodbye dust and mess. They told us that our house was very big, which was something I didn't think about. But it's no wonder the first day I saw my flat with my cousins we played hide-and-seek. That was 8 years ago!

No comments: