Saturday, February 9, 2008

Why I Would Not Be Able To Go Out And Yet Still Feel Very Happy Thanks To My Music

How delightful it is to read Theophilus's latest post: Why I Love My Music (dated Febuary 8, 2008)

Well frankly I've never thought anyone would post about their relationship with music over the years, but since someone has done it, I think I'll give it a shot.

Mine started at Yamaha where I was placed in Gifted Class - if I can remember correctly - at Clementi. Seems like I have came a full circle now that I realized my music journey started at Clementi! Well anyway the connection is that now I go to Clementi MRT and then take the bus to the Conservatory.

Back to Yamaha, my faintest inny-winny memory of it was in this huge room that was carpetted blue and lots of children around me sitting with Electones. And beside all of us were our parents. They gave us manuscript charts and magnets, where I learnt my C, D, E, F, G, A, B. At home I would practise placing the magnets on the different lines and in between.

This all happened at Bukit Batok. And I was 4 at that time. And then one day my parents spotted a newspaper ad, obviously by NAFA, that asked if you wanted "your child to be a Mozart?" And my parents thought that there was no harm for me to sign up for such a programme. I auditioned with Mdm Yan, and I was asked to do some auditory exercises and singing. I made it, and very soon I was having lessons with her very near Bishan and RI.

See! It's all coming into a full circle! The connection now is that I study in RI.-.-

Meanwhile after a few years I went to Miss Elizabeth Tan, still at NAFA, where my first performance came in a form of 4 hands with my partner, and we played some piece called Collecting Tea Leaves. After much sweat (a ha ha pun not intended) I got to shake hands with the President His Excellency S.R Nathan. Just in case he reads my blog I have to put all these courtesies in!

Holy crap! I realised another thing -.- I shaked hands with him in my last performance with NAFA, and that was Yellow River Concerto Mvt 4 for the President's Challenge. Now things are starting to get creepier. Boo.

After 4 years in NAFA, I finally got taught by the head of SYT (School of Young Talents), and that was Mdm Fang - a name I believe many of you should know. Or many in the music circle. Under her I won a couple of awards and performed in several countries, and this in turned gained me lots and lots of experience. After 7-8 years in NAFA, I auditioned for the Conservatory last year in March, and I've not looked back since.

Theophilus examines the factors that contributed to his love of music over the years, and puts forth his views about the importance of technical training versus musical enjoyment when a musician is in his learning phase. (Thanks Theo for addressing yourself in third person...)

Admist all the history of this first part, I have to admit that my literal skills are nowhere as close to Theophilus's, or maybe I just don't have the time :O just kidding. But anyway, I believe taking up music for some is a path of continuous discovery, where at some point of time one discovers something special that one has never realised.

I would have to agree from my POV about his assumption that 'no child likes practise' but I believe however there are some kids in this world who are gluttons for mundane practise and punishment. However, I disagree with him that this spills into a distaste for classical music. For me, I don't think I've ever had a distaste for classical music, and the awe of such complex yet at the same time simple music has never been absent from me. Maybe it's just the way my ears are tuned, or the over-the-top exposure I had, but it has never left me.

But I'm pretty sure that parental guidance is one of the basic key things that is needed in the beginning stages of learning anything, be it music, math, languages, art, computer. At Yamaha my mum would sit beside me and point out the notes that were on the score. She would also make me pay attention while I clicked buttons like there was no tomorrow on the Electone. Surprisingly they never billed me for the tons of Electones I jammed.

At NAFA, when there were times Miss Tan had to demonstrate how to play a certain part and I had to stand up and make way for her to sit, my mum would pinch my ass so hard that I winced and would try my best to hold back tears while playing a phrase.

The 2 hours reserved for my practise time were often torturous, for I constantly looked at the clock, but I knew I still loved the music and everything around it. There was the abacus to count how many times I had practised the Hanon exercises, and I know I've done a hundred of them before.

See, practice makes perfect.

And then comes the self-interest, whether the child is interested in it or not. I believe that if you want to do something you might as well put in your best. Here's a quote from Mr Raymond Lee - "Do your best, in whatever good you chose to do"

So there goes.

And then lastly, maybe a little talent would be needed. As what Benjamin Saver mentioned in his 2003 letter for the 2nd World Piano Conference that I attended in 2003, that '99% would be hard work, and 1% would be talent'.

All these little things along my music journey have made me into what I am today - it has affected my life in a huge way, particularly the constant practising from 8pm-10pm when I was in primary school and the need to study for PSLE. Very recently was the integration of my another life of entirely music into my present study life, which was such a huge change that I buckled several times along the way.

Of course, several new ideas and concepts that were introduced to me have changed the way I viewed music, one of them which I'll share with you here later. I've met significant music teachers around the globe, and one of them would be Mr Mark Ray, whom I had a masterclass with in Manchester. Sadly he passed away in a drowning incident in America, and it was extremely sudden.

And then last semester I had lessons with Miss Hahn for 6 months, and I was introduced to the Taubmann technique, one which requires full body mapping and understanding. With this knowledge in mind, I'm able to understand the physical part of piano playing. She also implemented Eastern methods into piano playing, such as the use of chi, something that is hardly mentioned in the piano performing world.

Try this at home. (If this sounds corny to you, at least try it!) Call a friend or parent, and ask that both of you should approach each other with the right arm stretched out, palms facing each other. Both of you should close your eyes. With palms facing each other, each of you should experience/feel a tingling sensation. If there isn't any of such feeling, don't panic! However, if there is, that would be the feeling of 'chi'.

And I believe this simply because of the fact that after every performance that requires lots of effort, energy, and emotion, I can feel this tingling sensation in my palms, and sometimes it would be very hot!

Well, believe it or not, I'm simply sharing my ideas and experiences in my life with music. There is still one more phrase that I feel would be necessary to copy from Theophilus - However, it is thanks to devoted parents, caring friends and experienced teachers that we are able to play, enjoy and create music!

Thus ends my thoughts and feelings on my life with music.

No comments: