Friday, February 22, 2008

Moscow 2040

It is inevitable that one day somewhere someone would get tired of blogging and recording his thoughts. Nonetheless, there are also times where somewhere someone would find some liberated time to do so.

On Tuesday there was Dr Hecht and Mr Tiu's two-piano concert recital, and I feel a review of it would be redundant as we already have one from a distinguished reader of my blog; Dr. Chang Tou Liang!

Yeah he wrote a review in the ST on the excellent concert, which was published on Wednesday. Needless to say I read it and thought some of my friends (and even myself) can pick up lots of review writing tips from this medical doctor and music lover. The recently-formed review-writing disease has strucked some of us, but well, it's all for better music appreciation and improved English skills.

On Thursday during MEP we did our last 2 hours of composition test, of which I changed poems 3 times and finally settled with the one I started with, using 45 minutes to write melody and an accompaniment that was a mixture of Debussy-Reflection-of-the-Water and Jonathan-Shin-Crap. The melody wasn't at all good. I would feel more comfortable putting the blame first on the text though. With good text comes good music.

With bad text comes uncomfortable melodies and 3 weeks wasted.

After MEP with much abated breath my dad and I went home to catch the results of the Youth Olympic Bid. In the end, it was fortunately Moscow 2040! Singapore will host 2010. Yay...

Anyway before that my dad was attempting to convince me that it was definitely Singapore. "Prime Minister Lee, who earns hundreds of thousands of dollars a minute, surely wouldn't be there to waste his own time, would he?" And besides, they wouldn't organise such a huge event for 100 secondary schools to come down to the Padang to view the results. More importantly, Prime Minister Lee and Ng Ser Miang have visited Switzerland so many times over the past few weeks.

Well honestly speaking my dad rarely goes wrong on predicting politics, considering his wizened age and political mind. :)

If PM Lee were reading this, I'm sure he would be nodding his head too in agreement.

(Eh how he know! So clever...)

No comments: