Wednesday, September 10, 2008

settled in ibiza after coming from frankfurt

I just realised my posts are rather sparse. They don't give any actual detail, any actual meat, any thing. Let me give you real detail about the Spain trip.

Alright I'm very accustomed to traveling actually, and if I'm going to have to pack things for a trip myself and go travelling myself, I'm pretty sure I can do it.

3-collared T-shirts (should have gotten 4), three white plain collarless shirts to be worn for sleeping or the most casual wear, three boxers, three packets of underwear (disposables are freaking useful on a overseas trip - don't have to wash just throw away) and 4 Levi jeans, 2 performance clothings, one performance pants, and finally 2 pairs of shoes (performance shoes and outside shoes)

For girls it definitely will be more difficult, with all the neccesities and whatsoever - makeup, performance gowns, blah blah blah.

So I didn't have to check in any luggage at all, just having a hand-carry luggage and a slingbag with me. One pair of shoes amazingly stuffed inside the luggage, snuggled nicely.

Alright here's what to watch out for when travelling - don't bring any liquids, just drink from the airport. But for domestic flights it's really easy to smuggle water bottles through because they don't screen you at all. Otherwise, big airports like Frankfurt, Singapore, New York, yeah just don't even buy water bottles before you get in.

And when you do buy from the duty-free shops after passing the check-point, remember you have to drink it all up before you can board the plane.


While on the plane, act coy with the stewardess and get favour from them. Just kidding. Be polite and add-in some wit in your words, and when you do have to go for toilet breaks do strike up some conversation with them while waiting outside the toilet. They will be super friendly, and I'm serious most of them are quite genuine and kind and willing to help, lah.

There's definitely no need to press for the 'steward help' button if you can just wait for them (I never did since I turned 12.) ...but when you do press it they come immediately.

I took lots of peanuts and bread on the plane, and washed them all down with water. Really great stuff. Watched two different set of movies already, because I left on SIA on 29th August, which means they showed a set of movies and shows (more than a hundred), and I came back on the 8th September (an entirely new set of movies). And great, no pictures of the planes.

I've recently been talking to my classmates about the turbulence, and about the mini-orgasms that possibly could have occured for some of my friends. I've told Dr Hecht that I rather wait to perform than sit through a turbulence. I'm wrong, I think. Sitting here in the comfort of my chair I think I rather sit through a turbulence than perform.

But I guess when you survive more turbulence and realised you were never going to go unconscious or explode into pieces, you get less worried. But sometimes I do have an image that God is holding the plane in his hands, and once when I travelled from Majorca to Ibiza I thought of that, and surprisingly I slept through the turbulence and all the way till landing.

Nice, huh?

Ok my flight plan was this - First to Frankfurt (3rd time in a month, after Ettlingen competition), then after that to Majorca (where Chopin took his break to write his Preludes, he went there with George Sand - it looks really dusty and windy to have a nice, cosy winter there.) And then finally to Ibiza - of course, buses will be provided when you travel between the terminal to the aeroplanes in the smaller airports, because there's not enough space for all the planes to be beside the terminal itself so we can walk via a duct.

If you realised most times when you do go out travelling probably the only way of getting into the aeroplane was through a huge duct which we would walk through, this long cuboid tube that twists and turns and leads to the plane itself. And has a distinctively nice smell.

Well in domestic travelling you'll have to take a bus to the plane itself, and then board up a staircase. Watch out for your luggages then! Everyone will be climbing up the staircase then so yeah just don't bowl over, because the winds from the turbines can get really strong. But you feel great once you're at the top of the staircase beside the plane, 'cos the wind is blowing in thy hair and thy hand is on thy luggage, proud and standeth tall.

No major food will be provided on the domestic flights, as I had from Majorca to Ibiza. Just had a piece of bread, and watched Mr Bean from well, a shared TV-screen by 6 people.

Skip the major boring parts.

Reached Ibiza, and we were received by one of the organizer's mum, and another guy who was part of the organization team. But first, a map of Ibiza.



Ok, three important places to note. Click on the map - San Antonio, where the contestants' hotel is, Santa Eulalia, where the judges' hotel is, and finally San Carlos, which is located in small print. If you draw a straight line from San Juan to Santa Eulalia, and look right of it, where you see a crossroad, you can see San Carlos exactly there.

For the first two days in Ibiza I stayed with Dr Hecht at Santa Eulalia, before we went to San Carlos (the competition venue itself) and then I joined up with the contestants.

Of course, some pictures of San Carlos and the places I have dwelled around in San Carlos.

Lots more pictures to blog - including the places I blog, the benches at sit at to compose outside the concert hall, and wonderful beaches.

No comments: