Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chinese New Year celebrations

Ok after a long hiatus I've decided to be back in business. It feels like a month since I last updated on Tuesday. Anyway huge family gathering yesterday at my house, let's talk about that first.

Had my usual Saturday theory class at 11, with Zhang Aidi finally making her appearance for the semester. In life there has got to be a time when you make a career-decisive decision, and I am guessing this would be it for her. Just guessing...but aiyah you still have to make your decisions at the end of the day.


After class I got back home, and then I met her at BPP (coincedentally finishing her lesson at Keat Hong around 1) where we shopped for finger foods, packet drinks, and snacks. Dabao-ed, got back home, showered, shelled the peanuts, done.

Then the first few guests start trickling in, my grandma, fifth and third aunt, my late second uncle's wife and daughter. Then I did some introductions. Cough.

We sat around waiting for them to come, and by 6 there were more than 20 people in the house. More introductions on my part, but approval from them later in the evening. Anyway whatever the food came soon enough, fried rice, curry (yum), finger foods. And then there was the laoyusheng part.

Basketball and soccer, apparently I've learnt some more fanciful skills in soccer, and I don't think it has turned rusty after a few weeks of not playing. Felt grateful though when I was still invited to play soccer with the YO guys yesterday evening. Thanks Adriel.

Dr Hecht, Miss Tan and ST came later in the evening, and we talked till around 12am. Apparently the auditions at YST have an extra component of self-study! Which basically means they give you half an hour to study a page of music, and following that you're supposed to play the piece. Nice, hopefully I get around to trying it someday.

Split decision between having to do a Fantasy or a Theme and Variations on this Db major melody I recently came up with.

Next week would be orientation week. I already have had a bad impression of RGS girls (hopefully it's a reciprocal feeling, I don't want to feel guilty for the next few days) but I think it would change as I get to know more people. I know people who want to have clean sheet when they enter their new junior colleges, but I guess it would be close to impossible for me.

And besides, if I haven't already mentioned, my only major CCA in RJC would be Piano Ensemble, because Jazz clashes with my piano major lesson. Will have to make do with it then. Glad I have finally played through Ravel Sonatine 3rd movement, so for this week's lesson I would have to bring it up to performance tempo, and have it memorised.

And get another composition done.

Recently I've also gotten hooked on some of Lennon's songs, which I would promptly post once I get the Internet hooked up again in the study room. (The part-time maid [seriously, not my dad] who would come around every Sunday is cleaning up that room so I can't use it yet.)

No comments: