Thursday, February 12, 2009

In the dark

A blog post typed out in the dark.

Why, I might ask.

Then you would reply that you rather be picking/peeking your way at the keyboard than let the neighbours opposite catch you WITHOUT YOUR CLOTHES ON.

Of course your boxers are on, reason for this state is because the weather in Singapore is just too hot for anyone to practise properly without sweating. OK maybe you people practise in an air-conditioned room, or have a fan facing you directly, but I'm not that rich to be granted any of these privileges.

On a more encouraging note we went to check out some of the pianos at Yamaha Plaza Singapura last week to see which upright piano I should get. (the painful irony between paragraphs). We decided on the YM5! Or at least we short-listed it and it turned out to be my final decision.

Exam-model (in case I teach anyone), and above-average quality. Ok, good quality.

I'm getting a second-hand YM5 though, going to view it this Saturday morning at some house in Seng Kang. Second-hands are what I'm looking for anyway, I want the sound to be 'old', but hopefully the depth wouldn't be compromised. (Yes, I know, grand piano depths can't be compared with uprights)

Bought myself a pink file to put ALL my composition things in, and I realised it's so handy because I can now compose ANYWHERE, now that I have a hard board to place it on, and I can put my pencilbox inside it anyway. It's not really a 'file', it's actually more like a box. A rectangular box. Ah! Like those used to contain mah-jong tiles.

I'm constantly reminded that being able to compose without the keyboard is a gift. But well, the journey to attaining that skill was long - I started composing without the keyboard at around 11, but whenever it went to the piano it sounded utterly like shit.

But now, friends, IMPROVISING on the keyboard without the keyboard is a SKILL.

Hallelujah.

Have absolutely no idea what to call the up-and-coming work, but the recent days have been fun, fun, fun, although my sickness has cause for worry. As I have mentioned before, I've never been that pro-active in house activities, but the enthusiasm of other Morrisonians surprises me too. Great job guys.

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SATURDAY.

It's the day where I'll go check out the upright piano.
The day where I'll go for YA lesson at 11am.
The day where my Jazz Improvisation book is due.
The day where they put Saturday on in the calender.

haha loser! (sniggers)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to share this piece of info with u before u make the actual purcase of the YM5.

I went to Yamaha Sun Plaza and spoke to one of the staffs there and they told me that YM5's hammers are of single layered felt, instead of two. She told me to consider the U1J or the U1, M112T instead.

Hope that this info is of use to u.

Jonathan Shin said...

hey thanks for the information. i took note of that while on the excursion, and M112T was on the list. Thanks anyway for the info!

oakleyses said...

soccer jerseys, ray ban, mac cosmetics, nfl jerseys, herve leger, p90x workout, hollister, louboutin, nike air max, hollister clothing, vans outlet, gucci, oakley, nike huaraches, soccer shoes, hollister, timberland boots, converse outlet, longchamp uk, north face outlet, reebok outlet, mcm handbags, bottega veneta, nike trainers uk, mont blanc pens, instyler, babyliss, new balance shoes, insanity workout, ghd hair, asics running shoes, beats by dre, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, converse, vans, ferragamo shoes, lululemon, chi flat iron, celine handbags, nike roshe run, iphone cases, hermes belt, ralph lauren, north face outlet, baseball bats, giuseppe zanotti outlet, jimmy choo outlet