Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My schedule, my week, my phlame

Ok let me give you just a little bit of what is going to happen in the next few days. As usual, my schedule is cramped up like the wires behind my computer, but I'll cope.

In fact, I've coped so well that I am still here and not crying somewhere, but anyway I'm not in the mood for crying nowadays so...let's start with tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll be playing Griffes Scherzo and Mozart Sonata for Jacques Rouvier from the Paris Conservatoire (of Music). Apparently he's super esteemed and that I was one of the 6 from Dr Hecht's studio to get selected to play for him. Tomorrow, 4-5pm.

Status: Ready, going to (continue) working on Mozart after finishing this post


Thursday, I'll be playing Ravel for Dr Hecht.

Status: Entirely not ready, no recording, no one to take notes, just going to dig out from my brains what we discussed last Thursday

Friday, we'll be playing in this Clean and Green fair at Marine somewhere, and we totally haven't rehearsed at all, haven't touched the songs, haven't got the chords, haven't informed the people, haven't lived. And also there will be Rafflesian Spotlight, the day we've been waiting for for 4 years. I've been waiting for. Nonetheless I'm not putting much effort into it yet, because impromptu is as easy-come-easy-go, just damn worried about getting team dynamics together again after a rusty one week.

Status: NA. No status at all.

Saturday I have to do my homework for Dr Hess's class, which I'll dutifully do, and I'm already 3/4 done. See, I'm so 'on' for music. Damn the necessary crap I'm doing in RI. Also think through what Dr Edwards said in our discussion about 20th century music and the social diversity, plus its impact on the music of the time.

Really amazing stuff, I've heard from him. And I'm putting effort in it to use in my pieces!!! Yes.



Next week, I've got MEP High Scorers Concert and...Piano Duels.

Nope, not on the same week, on the same day, and within an HOUR.

I'll perform for Piano Duels first, (I'm playing in the second and third spot) with Dr Hecht and ZAD, before taking a cab/daddy-fetch over to YMS, and finishing the night off with Griffes Scherzo. And then sing in the finale song, of course. Ain't going to miss that.

But I'm going to MISS THE PIZZA!

Now that's a big deal.


Ok my days before today hasn't been that free either. I performed with XD yesterday night at a wedding function which was attended by CEO/chairman? of Mediacorp, CEO of CapitaMall, and some very big person from Esplanade.

We wore suits and ties, and were formally dressed up, before belting out 6 songs consisting of dance numbers and love ballades.

Anyway we got them all jumping at the start, like they were engaged in serious-jumping, a sport which never made it to the Olympics but looked like it would in the near future, but the libido sort of died down at the end cos all the guests were kinda tired.

And we were still pumping them. Heck, I screwed up in U2's Beautiful Day and Fly me to the Moon, cos the effects...couldn't change it fast enough on Beautiful Day and instead of getting the 'High Wire' sound I got a freaking CLARINET. . . . . . It could totally have been worse. It could have been a bassoon, then I die.

Anyway it was a real success, and plus my initiation rite as a member of XD!!! Yes...after 4 freaking years of trying to find for a band in RI to join (other than being asked by other bands to join theirs, I finally got to a credited band. Great. We're going to make it even better.) What an end to my four years in RI.

This whole performance thing was on Monday evening.

Monday morning? That was a different story.

(Scene transport to the scenic YST)

So I'm there, like, 9.45am, ON TIME for the masterclass that was to take place at 10am. Alas, it was not to be. There were around 8 people there, including an old man, and a couple of people. So I decided that I wouldn't be standing there and took a seat behind the box office, the one with the sliding chairs.

Immediately I got bombarded with questions as to what time the masterclass would start (I was later told it would start at 11am, much to my disappointment, because erm...XD rehearsal starts at 10.30am? Hm. Kinda late, ain't it.)

An old man pleaded with me to let him use my phone, but that day I wasn't feeling like I needed punches to my being, so I lent him my phone. Duh. Under any circumstances I would...but anyway he was like thanking me so much, and I was bombarded with couple of smiles around from this 'helpful student assistant who isn't even dressed in black, but HE IS because he's sitting behind the box office counter'.

Small world, small world, I met Chiling there again. So we were supposed to go watch at 10am, but now it was at 11am, so we went to the 3rd storey again and followed the Rachmaninov 2nd Piano Concerto score with my mp3 blasting its guts out with the Piano Concerto score. We were successful till the 3rd movement, when my mp3 couldn't continue playing.

What a dumb mp3.

As she saw, my nokia phone is kinda screwed, because the sliding thing in front of it just came off.

Eh, Fiona, you know right, that sliding thing that changes the screen to radio mode and music mode. Yeah, that one. Yeah yeah, yeah! That one. -.- Ok same phone lah huh, that's why I put here oops.

I would gladly exchange my new phone for Chiling's old Nokia. Really. You can type faster with that, and erm, my sorta legendary speed without dictionary can be improved. But of course, with all the calls able to continue without being cut-off. Hmmm...

Went down to watch the masterclass for a while, before me having to leave after half-an-hour because of the rehearsal. Amazing! I wonder how tight my schedule can get anymore.


Another amazing thing is that I have yet to talk about my RESULTS.

Ok I did much better than expected for English, I got 31/45!!! Liyoung top in class got 36/37? I think 37. You know, the key to success, (in Choong's voice), 'is never to study anything'. Works totally, especially, ESPECIALLY if you have a concert the day before. Hm. I wonder, when can we study?

I flunked Chinese as expected, and Physics as expected, and probably Mathematics and Chemistry as expected. And then the rest all were be with flying colours. The rest meaning Social Studies and Music!!! Wait. There's still Literature. Which this time, I seriously don't think I can pass. I did really crappily.

As in, not those kind of girl crappily, where they say they die like shit and want to commit suicide and drink some obnoxious potions and then they get GPA 4.0 (98% OMG WHY CAN'T GET 100%????!!!) those kind of crappily, but like.

You know, guy-honest, "I did badly for this, I think I'll get 0.8." And then come out, REALLY 0.8.

Wait, then Byap must be a girl. And Jeffery also. Oh no!

I can't wait to see my MEP marks, I think I'll do pretty well. I'm just a little pissed with Yuchen about him complaining about the MEP papers being copied word-for-word, note-for-note from the O-level papers of yesteryears.

As in, him complaning that he wrote serialism instead of bitonality and that he got it right last year and not this year is entirely nonsense! Just plain nonsense. If you studied, then obviously you know that two chords that are disjunct and are vertically placed is obviously a sign of bitonality. There's no pick between serialism and bitonality. In fact, the argument shouldn't even be about whether it was right last year or right this year.

If you know it, you know it. If you knew it was bitonality by understanding what bitonality is, then the answer is obviously quite clear. Who the heck mugs for examinations by memorising past year papers. Anyway, I don't think Dennis did anything wrong or 'cheated' by looking at the notes. He didn't even know those would come out anyway...it's just that he's lucky that he got the right paper at the right time.

Ok just to justify the fact that I think someone's like insinuating the fact that he cheated.

YES! I just did my first little flame post after many months. Forgot how to flame already. Am I flaming? I've shown both sides of the story and was fair in my judgement. Ok, not flaming.

Phlaming should be something that doesn't discuss the opposite point of view, and declaring all of them as facts without checking. I've talked to Yuchen. Yes!

I phail in phlaming though.

No comments: