Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Chinese Christmas

It is only apt that I get to blog after 4 days in China, and another 4 more days to go, so it's sort of a blogpost in the middle of a holiday.

It's a near-freezing 3 degrees here in Lijiang, and I've been waking up constantly at 6 every morning. I brought along my manuscript books, which means that I've worked on Sonatina as per usual, but China has definitely brought in some new inspiration into my puny head.

I'm currently staying in a VILLA, where we are being served by a butler (what's a female butler called?) Altogether there are three storeys and 5 rooms, the living room is probably as wide as mine, and the TV is huge. There's HBO and ESPN and all the cable stuff you can think off. Pringle containers beside me, KFC remnants.

The rest of China other than Lijiang (which we've arrived today) as been terribly depressing, with the rural town areas basically looking like war-zones. Dirt, dust, mud, bricks, and worn paintings line the road. Road-kill, lots of stray dogs, beggars. Guess what, we haven't seen a SINGLE cat, or stray cat, throughout our entire trip in China.

And if you were to ask me to play Griffes or Mozart now, I might finish it with but a few slips. The weather's so damn cold, my fingers are rigid. Anyone drinking coke is probably looking for a cold, slow journey to sugar damnation.

I need to practise piano, I just realised. Damn.

But of course! Merry Christmas to all of you here, and let's hope next year will be a better one (although it never usually is, but I might prove myself wrong coming back next year).

Merry Christmas to you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hope you get some sunshine and warmth in Lijiang. It isn't that cold!
There's more information about Lijiang at www.travelpod.com/members/happysheep

ps drinking Coke, ginger and pu-er tea is good - if you get a cold

Jonathan Shin said...

Hey! Who are you? Yeah and I thought the Coke drinking was just a joke, but it turns out that even you affirm it. My cousins did say it would help. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.