Sunday, June 29, 2008

Animal Hair

Must remember to thank Melissa for the Carnegie Hall mug, otherwise I'll be branded as an ass (soon enough).

With the extra mug, I can now drink water more often, at the same time drink a cup of fresh milk, and then put it in the sink, and take another mug to drink water, before remembering I drank water with the other one already, and I must save water. And that there was still one more mug left to be used.

But all the same, thank you for the mug! I didn't get a souvenir last year from New York, so this was it.

On to more matters about the hair, I went to snip off my locks of hair today at the salon. (No, hair salon, not piano salon. No piano.) Usually my mum would accompany me for my haircuts, so they were obviously puzzled and were hesitant to cut my hair before my mum arrived. Well, they could wait till I pass out of hunger and then obviously float somewhere else, but luckily they didn't.

So I told my mum passed away already and then they were shocked and sympathetic at the same time. Can't believe they recognised my mum and I after only about ten visits over 6 years. Hardly believable. The assistant lady boss said my mum was probably a woman with a quick fuse, which I could hardly disagree, and smiles were exchanged sympathetically.

Had my mane shaved off, now I look like a lioness. A Chinese one at that - the guy barber talked to me first in Malay while I was reading Dick Lee's biography at the side. I honestly didn't know he was talking Malay until he told me later, after I spoke back to him in Chinese.

"我以为你是马来人...对不起阿boy..."

Which I had replied with a wave of a hand and he flew aWAY...

How I wish he did - he didn't though.

Rewind back a few hours, I re-listened to Monday's recording and practised again. And then went downstairs to buy seafood-flavoured cup noodles. MUNDANE.

While I was boiling the seafood-flavoured cup noodles I thought of 10 reasons why people wouldn't want to be me, and 10 reasons why people would. And then I realised it was impossible because everyone would have their own suitable lifestyle, and everyone's lifestyle's different.

Like how almost every other musician I know has either a dog or a cat, or a dog and a cat. Well, do musicians with pets develop better as musicians? To have a non-human being in the house, to understand the mannerisms of animals in order to aid music?

Recently I went to Miss Julie Tan's house to have a small chit-chat about food and music (what else) and got to play with the Westie, and her name was Heidi.

Now seriously, this dog's really really cute, because the moment I entered the house she started jumping around me with a nearly human smile. In fact, Heidi could have even been a baby - human mannerisms of sneezing, lying on the floor upside-down and waiting to be scratched, and staring at the ceiling in the cutest fashion that even I was lying on the floor tummy-rubbing the dog.

And Miss Tan talked about their really constant beats (in terms of gait) and their jumping trajectories. I thought that might have been over-analysing, but it was true to a certain extent. (Give me my History L3 mark NOW.) Well it goes to say that some of music's deepest yet simplest facts can be taken directly from nature.

I left the house thinking (blah blah blah I'll skip the philosophical crap).

Crap is meant to be shared, so I wish some of us musicians would spend some time with non-human beings and nature, hopefully being able to discover something that could benefit one's intepretation of music.

Have a good week ahead!


P.S. I found a few locks of Mum's hair still stuck in her comb - miss you mum!

No comments: