Monday, December 10, 2007

HINDRAF peace protests

And so the night before, I dutifully set the alarm at 6.55am, and my mother did so too. We weren't planning to miss out on the semi-finals of the Artist category. But sometimes plans do go out of plan, don't they? Oops. So this was one of the plans that went wrong. My alarm kept sounding, and my mum's too. So it got very irritating, and I decided to grope my way around the table beside my bed, found the phone and off it went.

Now here's where the plan gone wrong. I was supposed to wake up and get my teeth brushed, but I, being a lazy 15 year old, decided to continue sleeping, and sleep I did.


My mum's phone alarm also went off already, and the family didn't wake up until 8am, which if we had woken up at that time gave us about a full hour to prepare and go, but we didn't. The decision was that the parents go to the market and get some food while I stayed at home and sleep.



It was one decision that I couldn't ignore and I fell asleep.


At the end of the day, I just want to of course say sorry for being able to get details on today's Artist Category semi-finals results, but I don't think all of you would mind anyway. Somehow I realised that I wasn't getting enough sleep, if we all consider together that I slept at 12am and woke up at 7am just to take the bus to watch the concert. (Come on, 7 hours of sleep is simply not enough!)













Recently and suddenly we have had from protests in Kuala Lumpur from nowhere - we all point the noise to HINDRAF (Hindus' Right Action Force/Haiz Indians Really Are Fighting). Here's a picture on the left of the protest.


If you can see clearly it says "WE ARE MARCHING PEACEFULLY TO SUBMIT A MEMORANDUM IN THE BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION. 'THIS IS OUR INSTITUTIONAL RIGHT' WE ARE NOT OUT TO CREATE (sic) ANY CRIMINAL ACTS AGAINST THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT OR THE RULING ELITE"




No, I'm not going to talk about any corruption from the Malaysian Government now, (although we have had a little flashbacks from the lighthouse matter) but I seriously do think that Singapore's much better at building racial harmony. But as my dad always say, it's because Singapore's population is small and it does not occupy such huge geographical space. Simply look at the highways in Malaysia - what, 600km? - compared to 50km of a highway in Singapore. Of course, it's much dirtier in Malaysia considering they have much more space to take care of.



In any case I would, or used to, ask my dad why not ask Malaysia to give some land to Singapore since we can do a better job of it? Now call that immature.






Back to the racial problem, I seriously do believe that these people are making a big fuss out of nothing - I mean, why not do it the Singapore way, put it on the Forum, ask why the Government is demolishing Hindu temples. (In case you don't know what HINDRAF is complaining about, one of the main reasons is that they are tearing down Hindu temples simply to make space for development. They are also asking the goverment to give more aid to Tamil schools, and - here's the controversial part - free al Indians held without trial in Simpang Renggam, Johor.



There are several other demands also, such as having a Chinese holding the Finance Minister position, because HINDRAF thinks there are too many UMNO leaders holding top portfolios. (This is the part that probably gets the Chinese supporting HINDRAF)
They also want the Government to open up a Second Deputy Prime Minister position to be held by a non-Malay.

All of the accusers have been charged with sedition though, and we're most likely going to see an increase of Hindus in Malaysian jails.




So as I was saying, why not put it on Forum, and ask about it? Maybe if we think further, the New Strait Times (Malaysian national papers) did not publish the issue, and this led to the uproar of the Malaysian Hindus. We have had already the Sultan criticising this issue, as stated on yesterday's the Sunday times, and I read that this was pretty rare, having the royalty given their position on these sort of things. Well, our Excellency President Nathan would have done just that if boys started going on peaceful protests about top PSLE scores going to girls. We won't do that though - we're too lazy man.



I seriously doubt that the Malaysian Government would be able to fulfil all the requirements as stated by our dear HINDRAF, and what's making matters worse is that they have arrested all the founding people of HINDRAF. Should this carry on though, it's only a matter of time before they move on to violence - inevitable since the people who form this entire organisation are mostly made of men.



On a lighter note, $5 says that you haven't seen a single woman squatting down near the Petronas Twin Towers and holding out against a water cannon on the news.


















No comments: