Saturday, December 29, 2007

Verbal Die-hor-ree-yer

I was pretty amused by two RJC students - an Indian and a Chinese - while I was returning home with my family from a music shopping spree at Sweet Classics. Of course, they were having a year-end sale so if we missed it the next time I could get my hands on Chopin ballades was December 2008.

So the story went like this - us three people went up the bus headed for home, and due to the lack of seats we all had to stand. So the crowd was a useful plot device for my dad and I to 'eavesdrop' on an intelligent conversation from the RJC pair.

I have to admit that it was not eavesdropping, for there existed not a single eave in the us, and the pair talked damn loudly, so we didn't really have to strain those little ears. Allegedly, my dad and I were the ones to talk first - in reference to the Royal Commonwealth essay of whether Planet Earth was suitable for 'first contact'. Before long we were starting to hear bits and pieces of their talk, which really seemed to be plucked out from thin air. Soon it became apparent that they were really doing their best to emit the 'nerd' aura, or otherwise let everyone know they are from RJC, premier school of Singapore.

In any case, the topics ranged from how humans would cope in a hundred years time, whether another species would overtake humans as the dominant species of the planet, whether we would be able to adapt to the new environmental problems, and that there would be two different kinds of humans living in two different environments. The reason I am so critical of what the two guys were talking about was simply because they were obviously picking out subjects from nowhere and trying to indulge in some cheemenology that would make me grip things down under (not the continent, lah) start sweating, and think, 'Shit, these RJ guys are really good'.

How do I know that they are from RJ then? Well one of them mentioned, "Imagine if we were to have a colony of 100 RJ people..." The bus driver decided to brake at that split second/My dad and I jerked at the mention of 'RJ', and the Indian guy just had to repeat louder this time, "A COLONY OF 100 RJ PEOPLE".

Soon after that, when the seats became plentiful, Pop and I took a seat, and what do you know, the Chinese guy was wearing a Hullet T-shirt! (If you're confused why didn't we look at them in the first place, it was because you were most likely to get a little embarassed just to even look interested. Hey, we're Singaporean ok? Year-end sales, discounts...what do you think?)

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get an autograph from the two social scientists, but what really shocked me was the non-sense they were talking about. Hey, get your facts right. They didn't even know the political situation of Somalia, but started sprouting whimsical postulates that one day Somalian people will be taken by the larger nations as slaves. With the emergence of human rights groups, when do you think this will happen?

Anyway here's something from Pop's brain - that America only does things that satisfy it's own interests. So if has nothing to do with America, America wouldn't touch it. Of course, with oil-rich Somalia...

Who doesn't need oil?

On the shopping spree, I managed to grab hold of four scores, Chopin's Polonaises and Ballades, Bach's Preludes and Fugues Book 2, and Schumann's Novelettes, the one my YST colleague Tarin's got. Yum!

I'm looking forward to school. Someday, someday...

No comments: