Thursday, December 6, 2007

Headline News: Nebraska Shopping Centre Shooting kills 8

This blogpost marks an end to the past 3 days starting from Tuesday.

I was sent to my aunt's house for 3 days (because my mum was sick and couldn't cook) and 2 nights, and when it finally ended I went to watch the National Piano and Violin Competition, which I enjoyed.

The 3 days and 2 nights was lovely, and I have to thank my mum for letting me go there and my aunt for cooking good food! yumyum.

My time there was super relaxed, reading the papers in the morning, breakfast, playing games in the afternoon, swimming in the late afternoon,lunch, playing card games and computer also, watch TV, dinner, watch deal or no deal, computer games, composing (for me) in the basement, yu-gi-oh (some card game), a heavy game of Monopoly (till 1am), brush teeth, sleep.

Indeed a life of leisure.

I must finish my latest composition by January!

On to the competition, there was of course the good pianists and the not-so-good pianists. Some were fantastic, and of which I feel worthy to post here. Shawn Neo was one of them, his Liszt was polished and structurally clear, emotionally clear, and not lacking in technique.

His Liszt came in an 'entire package', the phrases were well-strung together, and he was sure of what he was doing. Odds are 2:1 he gets into the semi-finals.

Thomas Ang's 'the Lark' was controlled in terms of melody and pedalling, and he managed to create beautiful repeats of the melody. He will get in to, if tomorrow's contestants are not stronger.

I liked Nicholas (Ho)'s performance, although I cannot approach Hammerklavier with such a relaxed attitude because I have yet to play any late Beethoven sonatas, and I couldn't understand the fugue. Maybe there was too much pedal? There was hell lots of virtuosity in the Prokofiev, and his teacher had at the end of the piece give him the most applause...worthy of this virtuosic performance. He should get into the semis also though, but because of the lack of lyrical music (I was finding for diversity), he might face more competition.


So that pretty much rounds up the first day of competition for me, second official day of the competition. (I missed the Junior Category yesterday, but worth it since I was having some leisure time in the 5-storey houses of my aunties.)


Is it any wonder that I have 10 hits on yahoo.com under my full name?

No comments: