Thursday, December 13, 2007

NPVC Main Bulk ends

The main bulk of NPVC has ended - the final rounds of Junior, Intermediate, Senior ended yesterday at about 6.00. Here are the results of Intermediate:

1st Prize: Zhang Aidi
2nd Prize: Soh Ser Yee
3rd Prize: Wilford

There was not much change in my predictions except that I though Ser Yee's brother would get second. But to be fair I did not watch much of the Intermediate category and I was not sure what the results would be, but I guessed the results on the basis that I know all of them and their playing.

Here are the results of Senior:

1st Prize: NA
2nd Prize: Royce
3rd Prize: Jin Yujia
Honorable Mention: Shawn Neo

I know everyone here, but I am surprised at the results. While on the bus trip back home though, I gave it a thought and I realised that the judges were right.

Shawn's variety in his Chopin Concerto was little, and although he did so well in the lyrical department, there was not enough showcase of his octane department. To put it in short, we did not see enough of his technique in this concerto. Besides, this piece does not really show much of his ability to 'play with the orchestra'

The reason why Yujia (Grieg Concerto in A) didn't get top, I reckoned, was probably because of either the age concern, or the lack of variety again. There was a huge show of technical runs, but the melodious parts were not, in entirely my own opinion, not distinct enough.

Royce (Scriabin Concerto in F# minor) feautured good coordination with his accompanist, but probably it was this extra effort to simultaneously (maybe overly) replicate every action that was a plus point. I noticed a good balance of both lyrical and technical playing in his piece. But ultimately he was not spared - some of the pedalling was overdone and I could hardly hear the runs up and down the keyboard that were evident throughout the piece.

Some of the costumes of the day were terribly dull, like Yujia's. Come on, she wore white for all her concerts and all the rounds of this year's competition and the competition two years back.

Ultimately it was a feeling of deja vu when I heard there was no first prize. Urgh.

Mothers have been making logical fallacies - mainly post hoc - Post hoc ergo propter hoc. (Rafflesians should know this) For example, because of Yujia wearing the same costume always, she didn't win top. And many more. Why not because I didn't go to the restroom in the final category, no one got first. It gets irritating after while, but we all know that there is no proof. It's stupid, lah.

Tomorrow will be a so-interesting day, mainly because we will be treated to a showdown between two YST students and one NAFA student in the Final round of the Artist Category.

Andre (Cheo Yong) will be playing Mozart Concerto - the one he played with Dewi. Shih Wei will be playing Grieg Concerto, and Weijie from NAFA will be playing Tchaikovsky Concerto - yes, the famous one. And so I am very sure that no one will want to miss out on tomorrow's who's-best piano showdown.

(No, I will not be offering 'live' commentary from my blog)

That may just be possible, considering there's wireless there and I have a laptop which I carry around to update.

No comments: