Monday, November 24, 2008

Electronic Music - of helicopters, a little bit of love, and...library

I'm reporting back again from the Conservatory, Music Technology Lab.

Ok the thing is we're (Akkra and I) currently listening to different contemporary pieces like Stockhausen's Helicopter String Quartet and Erwin Schulhoff's erm Sonata Erotica.

It's an actual piece, which I wouldn't want to play here. Although you can find the link...here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E0H4cscGgw

As its name suggests, things get really obvious what it is about.

Anyway the Helicopter String Quartet requires 4 quartet musicians to be placed in 4 different helicopters, and the entire thing is recorded with the helicopter motor being recorded along with the sound of the instruments.



While you're reading this, I'm very sure you're hearing one of the most famous electronic music ever composed by Stockhausen, which in English would be called 'Song of the Youth'. In German, Gesang der Jungling. Some of you would definitely be uncomfortable with it, so I suggest you shut your volume, or pause the thing, or just listen to the whole thing because I find the whole piece really cool and fun.

Apparently I'm supposed to jam some electronic music with Dr Gooi and Thomas Ang the week, which is something I'll go check out.

If you're asking me on how this piece was composed, a boy's voice is recorded and then subsequently cut, pasted, reversed throughout the entire piece. Stockhausen uses the sine wave in his creation of the sounds you hear in this piece. The boy's text was taken from the Book of Daniel from the Bible, when the three Christians are pushed into the furnace created by the King Nebennazzar (if I remember correctly), although they didn't burn inside because they were protected by God.

Absolutely cool piece. There isn't any feeling of dissonance inside, just cool sounds playing everywhere, so it doesn't make me feel at all uncomfortable. And I just realised I've started developing a low tolerance towards dissonance, which makes me feel like puking everytime I hear a really disgusting dissonance.

Cool huh? :)

Not.

Anyway earlier this morning I finally managed to collect my NUS card, and I get to discard (pun intended) my old temporary card that I've been using. And I can also finally use the library after a long break since September. So I spammed and borrow 6 fourhand books to sight-read and play.

I feel super tempted to play Sonata Erotica on this blog, but it would be rather distasteful...it's entirely in German (which means I understood every single word which was 'sung' by the female soprano.) There's like "bitte" and "schnell". :X

I'm going to play this electronic piece only for a while, otherwise I'll be starving your ears for some harmony. Yum.

No comments: