Saturday, November 15, 2008

These days 2

I'm cooped up in the study room once again, with no windows opened because every weekend, I wake up with a blocked nose and a sinus to cope with.

And the weather is bloody cold. I sometimes like to imagine there's an ocean right at my doorstep, and that the sounds of birds I hear would be that of seagulls.


Unfortunately there would be lots and really lots of 'boats' around, which just spoils everything thank you very much.


We've finished recording at Snakeweed Studios, marching up the wooden creaky stairs at around 1pm everyday from Monday to Thursday, getting inside. But of course, nothing's really complete without any pictures, so here they are.

The whole band except Marcus


















Daniel - Drummer [F*** you]
Yisin - Guitarist [Bottomless Pit]
Lennie - Guitarist [Ischrael]
Eugene - Bassist [Collision System]
Me - Keyboardist (newspaper in front of me contains the chords), and the famous keyboard that Bottomless Pit bought for me to play a day before the gig. [Perfect Pitch]

Marcus wearing Martin's hat [Noisy]









Post more pictures next time. Anyway we managed to record three songs in the end, one less of the targetted four songs. Never did we knew that recording could be so tough, because we were recording one layer by one layer, which facilitates mixing.


As you can see, we all unfortunately have nicknames. Yisin's called Bottomless Pit, because EVERY instrument (except the drums) that is owned by the band is owned by him. Son of CapitalMall CEO, tsk.


Daniel's called **** you, I really don't know why.


I'm Perfect Pitch, that's self-explanatory.


Marcus is Noisy, which is also self-explanatory.


Lennie is Ischrael, because of the way he pronounced Israel.


And Eugene is Collision System, I just named him that way because we talked about it once. Or maybe he doesn't have one, and I gave him one because I liked consistency. Whatever.


I would like to sincerely thank Martin from Caracal, who was our producer from Day 1 to Day 4, and he's really hilarious. I got owned by him a couple of times though, to the band's amusement. Thanks Mart.


After Thursday's session I went to the Conservatory to catch a piano recital with a girl (yeah, the girl whose results are super super super super super super super super high one). Haha, who else? We went to have dinner at Munchie Monkeys and I absent-mindedly ordered 2 plates of spaghetti and one masala. Gosh, no wonder I couldn't pay -.- In the end we got the refund. Yes.


I know I'm being kinda evil here, but were they being a little sarcastic when they wrote that the performer played with "astonishing precision"? But it was a bit loud anyway, because of the nature of the orchestral hall. It was a good concert in either case, although I hoped for more accuracy.


Friday was another busy day. I woke up to find myself rushing to Paragon to accompany BenLow for his Trinity voice exam, spammed practised Debussy Etude, and took a cab to watch Yellow River played by its ORIGINAL COMPOSER with.....guess who?


Ok this game is failing because of its predictability already sorry...


BenLow's examination was a little mussed up because of my page-turning, which meant that some of the supporting harmonies went missing, otherwise it was fine.

Surprisingly my lesson went well. I thought I would die for lesson. I practised right before the lesson mygosh, and just thought of whatever things I could to put inside and organised. It turned out well. A sure-win method, that's why it's used.

The taxi driver that got me to Esplanade was agonizingly slow, but I got there in time. Thanks Chi Ling for packing Subway! Or else I would have listened to Yellow River with an empty stomach. Yellow River Piano Concerto was absolutely fantastic, it just got me thinking back to my old NAFA days, and anyway it was the final piece I played before I left NAFA, so they were good memories.

Wish I could take a photo of everyone listening to the third movement though, tears in their eyes. And the Fourth Movement was a blast, that was the plateau of sheer pleasure and nationalistic joy when the whole orchestra played the final theme, which is also the part where they turn around to salute Chairman Mao (I'm serious).

And I can't believe I dared to ask the question at the end at Boon Lay MRT station.

Thanks :)

[collapses into a hole of embarassment]

No comments: